Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Yesterday, Thanksgiving 1012 and I had so much to be grateful for. I spent the day with my grandparents, and was able to celebrate the occasion at a restaurant called Nichole's in Lake Worth Florida.

I walked my grandfather from the parking lot, to the front of the restaurant. We were greeted at the front door by the owner.

"Sir, what name is your party under?" said Nichole. I turned to my grandfather, "What is Rosie's last name grandpa?," I asked. "Rosie, I dont know a Rosie," he responded. "Papa, you have known here for at least 60 years, you dont know her last name?" "What is my last name," I asked. He didn't know. It was then I realized, I was really loosing my grandfather, one drop at a time.

In attendance, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Martha, Sheila, Bernice, Rosie and a friend of the cousins. It was great being 45 years younger than anyone at the table. It was not a traditional family dinner, Nichole's had a blue plate 16.95 dinner and everything needed salt. We had a big long table for eight but for some reason Rosie insisted we move tables. We were reseated at a round table next to the wall, one much too small for our group. We were elbow to elbow, good that none of us were left handed.

The banter around the table was politics. My Florida family are staunch democrats, so in part the conversation was celebration of President Obama's victory over Governor Romney. I imagine part of my gratitude is they have all survived another years so that I might celebrate with them. That they lived through out the year without killing each other is a small miracle.

In the name of community I drove everyone home that night. I returned home and reflected on the evening. I gave thanks to the Lord for the day. I gave thanks for my life. I gave thanks for my family and the chance to see them one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment